Tuesday, December 6, 2011

And Music and Singing Shall be my Light

I just wanted to take a few, brief moments (sorr, at work) and wax a little more about my favorite thing on the planet. Yep, that would be singing.  Tis the season for my choirs to keep me uber busy with rehearsals and performances almost constantly.  At the beginning of this month, I realized that I literally don't have a free day until new year's eve!  People think I am nuts.  They are always asking me why I do it and how I manage my hectic life.  Some people can't understand this passion.  Some can, but that is because they are passionate people and they crave something the way I do.  Truth is, I do it because I have to.  It's like oxygen to me.  The years when I wasn't singing were the darkest years of my life.  My mind and soul know what they need to get by.

MUSE sang at Evergreen Retirement home last night.  I did tons of this kind of thing when I was younger and had no appreciation of the impact of it all, but last night was different.  I was very moved to see people with tears in their eyes and huge smiles on their faces because of our music.  It was a gift to them and myself.

St. John's is doing some INCREDIBLE music for Winter Solstice.  Malcolm Dalglish, a genius composer and hammer dulcimer player, is coming to be our guest artist and I'm so excited because I got to work with him when I was a teenager.  Can't wait to do it again.  Very excited about the entire solstice celebration we are having at church this year and not putting all the focus on Christmas.

I'll try to write another post tomorrow when I'm off.  Better get back to work!

7 comments:

  1. " My mind and soul know what they need to get by." <-I loved that line! Good for you, that you're that in touch with yourself to know what you need. Most people don't, or can't do that. I think it's definitely something everyone should try and seek within themselves..maybe there'd be more happiness? I don't know, but I'm happy that you've found what keeps you smiling and bringing joy to others. Even though you don't have a day off till New Years Eve, I bet it doesn't even bother you. What's that saying? "When you do what you love, it doesn't feel like work" or something? :) I can't wait to do what I love for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait 'til you can either, Roni. And me too dude.
    I'm glad you're happy, Bek. And think of all the money you're making! I seriously can't wait 'til March! This trip is gonna kick ass! I love it when I hear incredible choral music. It makes me tear up too, like feast of carols, which I'm so jelly that I can't be with you at on Sat. Oh well. Think of me, when you're there. Have fun & I love yah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tear up with choral music too, Jen!! It's something that's happened to me my whole life and I totally cannot control it for the life of me! :) I guess that's a good think for Rebekah. She knows she's in a profession that brings complete joy in a person's life...so much joy that they're overcome with tears. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww and thanks Jen, babe, I can't wait till we're doing our dream jobs either. *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have to do a change in paths soon. I'm hitting a road bump. It's not good....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you think you'd like to do? And bumps are good things sometimes; you can take them as signs that you need to go *this* direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel like I should clarify, Roni, just because you didn't know much about me before this blog. I unfortunately do not sing for money. I work full time in a bank and sing almost full time too. Working in a bank has it's ups and downs, just like anything else. But mostly it's just to pay the bills and I work hours that allow me to get to my choirs on time. :)

    ReplyDelete