Monday, November 21, 2011

The Long and Winding Road

So I did it.  I had the surgery.  And, of course, there were some complications, because that's how I roll.  When they went in to perform the surgery, they found that I had a hiatal hernia.  What that means is my diaphragm was separating from my stomach.  They were asking if I'd had shortness of breath or any nausea or indigestion lately.  And I have, I just figured it was because I was so fat and had been eating like crap.  They had to open me up to repair that so I have one huge scar across my belly in addition to the 4 scars from the lap band.  Not that it's a huge deal to me, it's not.  It's just that where they had to cut is a lot more painful and will take longer to heal than just the normal surgery would have.  :(

I am going to wait until Friday to go back to work.  I was going to go back tomorrow (Tuesday), but I'm not ready yet.  At this point I actually feel as though I need medicine if I'm awake and moving.  I can totally tell when it wears off and it makes me too drowsy to be on it at work.  It's all good though.  Our new branch manager is very good and understanding and I know that the branch will be ok without me there.  I know I need to take this time to get some much needed rest and get my strength back.

Mel is off Wednesday so she is going to come hang out and take me to the grocery store and get me moving around a little bit.  I'm not really hungry at all, just sometimes miss chewing.  I am on all liquid for the next few weeks and then the doctor will tell me when I can switch to soft and blended foods.  I'm hoping I get to see him this week and will get to see how much more I've lost!

The surgery was not fun.  It was definitely more painful than I had anticipated, but I will make sure that every second of pain was worth it.  I am so excited for the next chapter of my life!  I honestly feel like everything I've been asking the universe for is being granted and I couldn't be happier.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that sounds painful. I am glad your surgery went well. Getting cut open scares the shit out of me. I've had surgery once and I was sooo terrified when I saw my scars, all blue and black and purple. I thought they were HUGE and would stay that way forever. But thank God they went to barely visible within 6 months. That was over 4 years ago and I can't tell they're there. :)
    I hope your recovery process is absolutely smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's going pretty well. I went to the doc today and he said he couldn't believe it had only been ten days. Just can't wait to be all healed.

    ReplyDelete